Tuesday, December 26, 2017

String of Adventure (Happy Birthday Inhonoredglory!)


Well happy birthday Inhonoredglory! Also, happy boxing day to the rest of the world :D

I made this art piece as a gift to my amazing friend and fellow HTTYD fan, Inhonoredglory. It's supposed to be a string of her favorite characters from her many different fandoms, all being pulled whimsically along by the TARDIS. I'll go into the details about the piece in the post bellow, and I'll also put text free versions.



So, this is the text free version! I asked Glory's sister for a list of her favorite characters to use for this. I've not actually even seen all the media that is represented by this line of heroes! The character holding the Tenth Doctor's hand is Leonard McCoy from Star Trek. The character between Luke Skywalker and Samwise Gamgee is Sherlock Holmes (the Basil Rathbone version!). Between Harry Potter and Hiccup, we have Colonel Robert Hogan, from Hogan's heroes. I had to do quite a bit of referencing for this piece... considering the tenth Doctor and the HTTYD characters are the only ones I was familiar enough with to draw from memory! 

It was a blast working on this piece, but it was also pretty challenging! Due to the number of characters (and my constantly approaching deadline), I decided to go with a minimalistic style fro shading and detail, even leaving out most of the characters' facial features. Still, I think the style works well with the whimsy I was shooting for with this project, at least I hope it does.

Oh, and the Sherlock Holmes in the middle? He's black and white :)


I also made a version with silhouettes only! I actually am surprised by how nifty this looks! Unfortunately, I think some of the characters become totally unrecognizable, particularly McCoy. Hogan is also pretty tricky to make out...


I'm pretty sure that this image will fit on a smart phone if it is flipped to it's side, so that was just a technical thing I tried to line up. I do really hope Glory will enjoy it, and if any of you happen to like all (or at least most) of these stories, feel free to download the image! 

It's always a joy to get to make things for you, Glory. I'm sorry to say that I feel like my gift pales in comparison to the one you made for me this year (GOSH, I still can't get over that vid!). I hope you have an awesome birthday, and I hope you enjoy the painting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment