Saturday, September 16, 2017

I've been watching too much anime...


Sooooo... when I'm not working, I've spent a lot of time this year watching... anime. Ha, at first I didn't know if I'd really like it, but I've found several shows that were GREAT. This evening, I had a little too much free time, and the conglomeration of sketches I'm about to post is the result. Each is a spoof/crossover, a mixture of HTTYD and some of the more notable anime that I've actually watched. Who knows, I might digital paint a few of these, but for now I thought I'd share the sketches. 



First up is my HTTYD/One Punch Man crossover. Ha, I LOVE ONE PUNCH MAN. GOSH. Anyway, the show is a satire on modern comic-book super heroes as well as anime tropes, but at the same time it has a lot of heart, the action scenes are ridiculously cool, and the humor is spot on. I will warn you that it is TV-14, so there's some monster blood and guts, language, and the occasional backside dudity (though that is always for the sake of humor, nothing sensual). Still, OPM might be my favorite anime I've seen. Me and my old roommate (who is bald) joke around and say that he is Saitama and I am Genos. This is mostly because I was always sort of his "yes-man" back in school, and he was much more outgoing than me... so I basically just followed him around and did what he did. In the art, Toothless takes the role of Saitama, the guy who's a hero for fun, and Hiccup takes the role of Genos, the lone cyborg.


Now I know for a fact that I'm not the first one to pull this crossover! Still, its hard to doodle a line-up of HTTYD/amine mashups without hitting Pokemon. Unlike the other series that I played with on this list, Pokemon is completely safe to watch. No warning here... except maybe that it is stupid beyond belief! As much as I enjoyed the original series, it's pretty ridiculous. If you don't play the games, it's probably not gonna genuinely entertain you unless you are eight or younger. If you DO play the games, then you'll probably hate it for totally misrepresenting how much strategy and work goes into making a competitive team, and you'll flip your lid when you see a Flying/Water type Pokemon use aqua-ring to block THUNDERBOLT. Gah. Still, it's a cute series, and I do love the games it is based on!


After all the STUPID that went down with the new Netflix movie (which I didn't watch because of the rating... and I'm glad I didn't watch it because just seeing clips was enough to know they BOTCHED this masterpiece handily), I'm here to make a reference to the original Death Note. This series was brainy, tense, dark, and thought provoking. It was honestly no fun to watch whatsoever, but I don't only watch things to have FUN. It was interesting... just SO FREAKISHLY tense and smart. So, yeah, it was also pretty clean... There was not much blood or intense violence, but it was DARK. Like, if seeing hundreds of people die bothers you (as it should), then brace yourself before watching this series. Anyway, I don't think that Hiccup fits Light Yagami (who he represents in this picture), but I still wanted to make a Death Note image. Toothless makes a creepy Shinigami. Ha, perhaps this image should be title "How To Train Your Shinigami". Yeah, anyway, it was a super clever series, and I do appreciate it a lot, but I'd be lying if I said I felt any joy while sitting through it.


So the last picture I did was a crossover with Fairy Tail. This series has a ton of heart, charm, and humor. Plus, its long running story is super well crafted. I'd say out of all the anime I've listed, this one has me the most hooked as far as the storyline is concerned. That being said... Fairy Tail has some glaring issues. It's rare to make it through two or three episodes without catching characters running around in bathing suits. Yeah, I'll leave you at that. Still, the main character, Natsu Dragneel, is really likable. He has all these dragon-related abilities, so I thought it would be fun to use one of his more iconic positions as a spring board for a Hiccup/Toothless/Natsu hybrid. That's the odd figure you see in my art above. Man, I look forward to the final acts of this series. 

Well, that's all I've got. I've also watched Sword Art Online, but I couldn't really think of any kind of half-decent crossover. Hope you like the sketches. Have any of you seen any of these shows? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment