Monday, December 26, 2016

Blaze Forward (Happy Birthday Inhonoredglory!)


Happy Birthday Inhonoredglory! I managed to get some painting done during my winter holiday, and I wanted to make you a gift. I knew I wanted it to involve Hiccup pretty heavily, but I also wanted to try my hand at a really dark, dramatic sort of lighting. I really liked the orange fire glow that I managed to pull of in the "Sleepy Companions" art piece I did a while back, so I tried to sort of replicate that here. It turned out a lot darker than that one, but I still like the result. I hope you enjoy it. I'm going to attach some versions of the painting bellow that are text free incase you or any of my other readers would like to use those versions of it.



This one still has the poem-like thing at the top. It felt fitting... what with this being a birthday gift. For me, birthdays are actually pretty daunting. The thought of getting a year older and having another whole year ahead of me is sort of spooky. I wonder if I'm going in the right direction, or if the choices I'm making now will have the desired outcomes in my future. I also thought the poem works very well with the idea of Hiccup and Toothless. After all, we've all just learned that there will be another Night Fury in the next film, and Hiccup is now chief, so the third film could literally take these two characters anywhere. Sometimes I worry that the third movie won't live up to my expectations (I worried that about the second one as well, but boy was I wrong!), but then I remember that the director really does care about these characters, and I trust him to make a great story. Hiccup and Toothless are going to take on the future, and they are going to do it together!


I believe this image might be the right size to fit as a smart phone background... so if anyone would like to use it that way, I'd be happy or them to.The way I crafted this art piece was actually by drawing a completely black silhouette of Hiccup and Toothless, then placing some markers on them so I could remember how they were positioned, then I put them on a really dark backdrop. After that I worked to make the fire coming off of Inferno, and I tried to make the orange light radiate off of that one point. Any color you see on Hiccup or Toothless was added slowly on top of the black and the tinted orange to match with the firelight. I know it leaves a lot of them obscured, but It was fun trying to work with this kind of lighting. 

I really do hope you enjoy your gift, Glory. Have a great birthday. You've been such a great friend, and I'm really thankful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment