Friday, July 24, 2015

RttE: Big Man On Berk


Ok... I now continue on my quest to write at least small reviews on every RttE episode. Haha... yeah. This one is probably my least favorite of the series, so I am probably gonna struggle to find positive things to say about it. You have been warned. If you absolutely loved it, you may just want to skip this review. Haha, however, it has been a day since I've seen it, so maybe I will have forgotten a couple of things that I disliked!

Alright, this time I will start with the positives:
I did like the fact that, even though Fishlegs had been hypnotized into thinking he was incredibly powerful, it didn't mean he wasn't going to get himself killed. Stoick would have clearly kicked his tail, and the Scauldron nearly had boiled Fishlegs for dinner. 
Toothless's face when Stoick says that they will have Gronckle for breakfast if Meatlug doesn't get off of him was priceless! He keeps pulling his head back further and further into his neck and it is really cute.
We get to see the Scauldron again, and the rain effects in that scene were actually pretty cool.

Ok, now the negatives:
HYPNOTISM. (That could be enough said). Seriously, I just don't like it when episodes focus around things that really do feel like they would never happen in the movies. The fact that a hypnotized Fishlegs can perform triple front flips is just... well... silly. I like the more serious aspects of HTTYD. I like the peril, the loyalty, the love, the angst, and the really dynamic relationships. So, when an entire episode focuses on something that is completely goofy, it really makes it hard for me to enjoy it. It just makes the events feel so unlikely as to be non-canon.
Then we have this weird bromance stuff between Snotlout and Fishlegs. That also felt really, really silly, and I didn't like it. Felt OOC for both of them. These two, no matter who is hypnotized, don't really like each other at all. And the fact that Fishlegs can stop apple carts shouldn't make Snotlout love him! On the contrary, I'd find it much more believable if Snotlout was jealous of "TB", not infatuated with him. 
Then we have the simple fact that I always wind up coming to. I personally don't think the teens (other than Astrid) are really capable of holding up as the main characters of a plot. Fishlegs and Meatlug are constantly finding themselves as lead rolls... and they just aren't Hiccup and Toothless. I can see making one or two eps that focus a lot on them, but we've had SO MANY Fishlegs episodes now. I just don't see him and Meatlug as being my favorite characters. We didn't really go anywhere with them in this episode either. We all know that Fishlegs loves Meatlug, and we all know that she loves him. It didn't shock me that they rescued each other... So overall I feel like we're just seeing the same stuff with them over and over. Yeah... Anyway, I do understand that not everyone will agree with me on this point, and that is fine! I love HTTYD pretty much solely for Hiccup and Toothless, but I know others of you really do enjoy the other teens as well. Perhaps this plot will be more enjoyable for you than it was for me.

So, sorry to be so critical! Haha, I do love the series, and I can promise you that the episodes in the future will get better reviews. This one gets an overall score of 2/5 from me. Sorry, but there just wasn't much going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment