Saturday, May 25, 2013

An explanation that needs to be given!


I think I would like to explain something about my art. Hopefully this entry will not bore you, but I want to write it so as to explain a weird trait I see in myself. Maybe this could be interesting, and it will certainly keep you from coming to a wrong conclusion about what I think of the film!
Alright, the thing I am going to discuss is Toothless. There is a funny thing about him and my art, and that is that I draw TONS of him! Over the last three years I would not be surprised if I drew around a thousand rough sketches of him. I LOVE this dragon, and so I have watched the movie over and over again studying every little detail of him. So...what is the big deal? Here is what I want to explain. Of my hundreds of HTTYD drawings, there are honestly very few with Hiccup. Why? Do I not like Hiccup? Is Toothless actually my real favorite character? Do I not like the bond between them enough to draw them together? My answer to all these questions would be no. If I HAD to pick a favorite character in HTTYD it would be a really hard choice! Luckily I will not make that choice. I like Hiccup and Toothless fairly evenly, so why do I draw hundreds of Toothlesses and only a couple Hiccups? I think the answer is a strange one...
I draw Toothless a lot because that is what Hiccup does! When I sit down to draw Hiccup, I suddenly feel a bit odd. I feel strange tacking a Hiccup sketch to the wall. Why? I think it is because you rarely see Hiccup drawing himself, but he is always drawing Toothless. In a way, I feel like drawing Hiccup is, well this is odd to confess, kind of drawing myself! I feel odd plastering the walls with the pictures of the guy who I really, really want to be like. Maybe it is because it a reminder that I am NOT him!! Anyway, that is a brief explanation on why I do art the way I do! In many ways I draw and admire Toothless because Hiccup draws and admires Toothless, and hopefully we draw, admire, and love him for the same reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment